Monday, May 21, 2012

Classic bike ride- Hill Cycle I rode

photo by Jed Kornbluh
 Curtis and I were dressed in all wool, knit gloves, old Detto cleated shoes and toe-clips and straps.I even wrapped an extra spare tubular tire around my shoulders in case of a puncture. The 100 ride was fun and spirited and thanks to Jed and Mel Kornbluh for organizing it. I look for more in the future.
I ride this early 1970s Hill Cycle bike originally owned by the Casale family, and now in possession of the our shop. The Brooks saddle has been "hot-rodded"- a service where the leather top is taken off, the craddle plate is reshaped, and the leather is trimmed and reattached. I will post more pictures of the saddle in the future, with a comparison to an untouched Brooks Professional of that time period. Hill Cycle Shop offered that service along with drilling and milling, I have the catalog mockup somewhere with photographs and prices. Ottusi was the famous Italian who modified saddles.

Check out some amazing drillium from an older blog post of mine, including an Ottusi bike, owned by Ken Denny.
  1970s Drillium at it's best. Drillium was the milling and drilling of components with the idea of making them lighter and leaving just the bare minimum of material available to have a fast lightweight bike.


Shifting with these lightened Campagnolo levers were very delicate.

7 comments:

Chris Wilson said...

Wow! Such a cool bike, thanks for sharing!

Cheers!

Anonymous said...

They did a sweat job on the drilling. I once knew someone who drilled their campy seat post. Every time they got the bike up to speed it would whistle.

Anonymous said...

Make that sweet job.

Alan B. said...

I had a Hill Cycle in 70s Holdsworth team colors and graphics with same chrome fork etc. also had brake levers drilled exactly the same and shift levers as well. My calipers ,stem,seat post were also fluted

Alan B. said...

Do you have any idea who was building frames for hill cycle

Rich Ross said...

Holdsworth

Unknown said...

I lived about 6 mi away from Hill circle I grew up buying my bikes from Jerry casale and is what and his mom and his dad correct the hill cycle was actually made by Holdsworth and shipped over here and they put the hill cycle graphics on it but I had a blue and white one as pictured in your comment section there and I also bought a public frame from them I mean all can't be parts I just remember going there like three times a week going on training rides with the hill cycle club we used to go 30-40 mi training rides with John eustis I mean it was really great even Joey caselli was riding with us I think he was a state champion either in track or road cycling and they used to have the the bike race air I forget what they called it it was a criterion race right near Hill cycle keystone open that's what it was I started going there in 1972 so it was a great little shop and I thoroughly enjoyed it and I really miss those guys that was great fun back in the '70s now I just tried to Holdsworth professional had to sell the polyaki and I had a couple favorites but now I'm just down to Holdsworth professional and a Peter Jason's custom built ride and that's about it couple sets of critter rollers and and a huge collection of campagnola nouveau record components boxed I got a lot of stuff from Hill cycle at unbelievable prices in the early seventies it was great thanks guys for the story